Welcome to our Blog!


Come in, sit down, grab a cup of coffee (I take black, Sheri takes french vanilla creamer in hers --- oh, you're not getting us coffee, too?), read a little, make some comments, but most importantly... Have a great time!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Budget Nazi

Tim and I (again) realized that our checking account was slowly bleeding (to death). Time for the Super Budget to be reinstated. This month, I agreed to the following: $150 for gas (the Hunting Widow Rig is a bit of a gas guzzler!), $250 for groceries, and $40 for fun money for Josie and I. I decided to play poker last Friday night with some friends, and in a very upsetting beat, lost the $40 of fun money. YIKES! So, instead of condemning myself into my usual guilt-stupor, I took the feeling of conviction and decided that I needed to "Stop Acting Rich" or I would never end up being one of the "Millionaire Women Next Door".

This is hard for me, because I see and I want it. I fall in love with marketing. I live and breathe Visual Communications. My past is full of striving to be cool. My husband calls me a raccoon because I like shiny things (especially diamonds). But the past year has been tighter for us, and God has smacked me over the head a time or two with convictions about spending money (have I mentioned that I'm a slow learner?). I can safely say that I am no longer scared of a Budget. I actually feel quite nice to know that we have a predetermined amount of money to spend. The fact that the allotted amounts are small is something I'm working on, but for now they are what they are. This stops the bleeding of the account, and it really is comforting to know where your money is going, even before it goes there. Thank you, Dave Ramsey!

Tim and I are also in the middle of a Marriage Bible Study. It's part of the Dynamic Marriage series. There are two big themes that are going on with the genders that I have seen: Women want their husbands to acknowledge their feelings and affirm their actions, and Men want their wives to act with a gentle spirit and a glad heart. We are to make one personal commitment to our spouse for the coming week. That can range from easy to hard, depending on what you think you need to work on. This week, I committed to acting with a glad heart. Too easily I become bogged down with details and time schedules. And all it does is sour my attitude, and if Momma ain't happy, no one's happy. Wives are entrusted with so much to keep the family operating, especially if their husband is a Sportsman. From laundry, cleaning & cooking to budgets & child-rearing, we have to function as a single parent very often. I don't say this with disdain, but with a sense of ownership. If there's anything I've learned from the Marriage Class, it's that husbands love capable wives. A smoothly-operating home front is a sense of comfort for a husband. This isn't a man's forté, and wives tend to have a knack at making a house a home. So I encourage you to embrace your role as a wife. And husbands, encourage your wives with affirmation and hugs and kisses. Little steps can achieve big results!

No comments:

Post a Comment